It is a practice that has been gaining supporters and our health appreciates it. From body to mind, discover some of the benefits of regular meditation. Guided meditation, yoga, tai chi, mindfulness . There are several types of meditation and relaxation techniques that can be a good strategy for reducing stress levels , contributing to good health in general. The advantage of these methods is that they can be practiced anywhere – whether in the living room or while traveling – without the need for special equipment. Take note of six health benefits associated with regular meditation practice.
1. Promotes a sense of calm
The practice of meditation helps us to feel calmer and more balanced, which can bring benefits not only mentally and emotionally, but also physically. These effects are felt beyond the moment of meditation practice, helping us to remain calm during our daily lives and even to better manage the symptoms of some health problems.
2. Combat stress
Sometimes we find ourselves thinking and worrying about many things at the same time. When this happens on a daily basis, it is natural that it can favor the development of permanent stress . Meditation allows us to organize our ideas better, helps us to focus more on the present, fight negative emotions, adopt strategies to manage stress , gain a new perspective in more difficult situations and even be more patient.
Do you know that…
Meditation can contribute to a better ability to concentrate.
3. Favors health
Generally speaking, our health benefits from the regular practice of meditation. Studies show that the practice of meditation can help control blood pressure to healthy values, such as reducing the risk of heart disease and strengthening the immune system (our body’s defenses).
4. Helps keep pre-existing conditions under control
Some studies suggest that meditation can help manage the symptoms of conditions such as anxiety, depression, asthma, chronic pain, cancer and even heart problems.
But be careful: if you have any pre-existing health problems, talk to your doctor before starting meditation techniques, remembering that meditation is not a substitute for the treatment prescribed by your health professional. Yes, it can be a complement.
5. Contributes to quality sleep
Sleeping well is very important for our physical and mental well-being. Meditation can help you improve the quality of your sleep, even if you suffer from insomnia. Reserve 20 minutes of your day for this practice.
6. Improves mood
Doing meditation on a regular basis can increase the production of serotonin, known as the happiness hormone. In this way, it is a habit that improves mood and helps to better deal with anxiety and depression.
Get ready to meditate
There are different types of meditation that use different techniques, the most common being:
- Focused attention: this is one of the most important parts of meditation and helps the mind to free itself from worries. For this, we can focus attention on an object, image or even breathing.
- Breathing: you should take deep, rhythmic breaths, using your diaphragm to expand your lungs.
- Quietness: especially if you are new to meditation, you may find it easier to do so if you choose a place free of noise and other distractions, such as a television or cell phone.
- Comfort: meditation can be practiced lying down, sitting, walking or in other positions and activities. The most crucial factor is that you are at ease.
- Open mind: it is normal for thoughts to arise during meditation. Let this happen without judgments.