10 foods that help boost immunity.
Having a strong immune system helps the body to stay healthy, because you are what you eat, eating a balanced diet, proper daily exercise and enough sleep are important for overall health. Eating foods that are high in immune boosting nutrients, is one way to play an active role in maintaining health and wellness.
When nutrients come from fruits and vegetables, rather than processed foods, the body absorbs it better and getting it in varieties is beneficial to the body.
1. Spinach: this is packed with vitamins, C, E, beta-carotene and a lot of antioxidants. Similar to broccoli, it is better to stir-fry your vegetables for as little as possible to retain the maximum amount of nutrients. When you lightly cook your spinach, you are more likely to absorb vitamin A and E and other nutrients are released as well.
2. Garlic: this is a very important addition to the list, it adds flavor to the meal and is one of the important additions that help to boost the immune system. The immune boosting property comes from the concentration of compounds that have been shown to boost white blood cell disease fighting response.
3. Red Bell Peppers: red bell peppers have three times more vitamin C as any citrus fruits, including the Florida orange. Red bell peppers contain beta-carotene which the body converts into vitamin A. they also help in maintaining a healthy skin.
4. Sunflower seeds: they are packed with nutrients and contain magnesium, phosphorous, vitamin B-6 and vitamin E. vitamin E is an antioxidant that improves immune functions by fighting off free radicals that can damage cells.
5. Green tea: the benefits of green tea are endless. It contains a type of antioxidant called flavonoid and has high levels of epigallocatechin gallate, (EGCG). This antioxidant helps to enhance the immune functions.
6. Button Mushrooms: they contain vitamin B2 and B3 which helps to keep the immune system safe. They also contain selenium, which source is found only in foods and the body needs it to respond rapidly to viral infections.
7. Sweet potatoes: this contains beta-carotene that is converted into vitamin A in the body and is useful in helping to fight off infections and boost immunity.
8. Broccoli: broccoli is a vitamin packed vegetable that contains vitamins A, C, and E, it also has a lot of minerals and antioxidants, which helps in boosting the immune system.
9. Chicken soup: poultry has been known to be high in vitamins B-6, which is needed in the body for the formation of red blood cells and the chicken broth contains gelatin, chondroitin and some other nutrients that helps in the boosting of the immune system.
10. Water melon: is a source of vitamin C, which helps in boosting the level of immunity in the body.
Eating healthy helps to rid your body of diseases and boost the immune system, always pick foods that are enriched and has the capacity to nourish your body.