fbpx
Tuesday, July 16, 2024
Home > Nutrition > Vitamin D and Sun – How does sunlight affect your health?

Vitamin D and Sun – How does sunlight affect your health?

Considered the main source of natural production of Vitamin D , sunbathing , with proper care, is the best way to ensure a healthy life for your body.

The Sun is responsible for about 90% of the vitamin D in the human body , leaving the other 10% in charge of food. Therefore, it is essential to know how to expose yourself to sunlight correctly to ensure good levels of the nutrient.

Therefore, in the content of this article you will learn everything about Vitamin D and Sun: how the vitamin is produced, what is the best time of day, how much sun to take, among other curiosities. Therefore, read this article until the end and clear your doubts.

How is vitamin D produced by the sun?

Vitamin can be obtained naturally by the Sun, which helps to meet daily needs. Therefore, sunbathing, following exposure precautions, is essential for our health.

Vitamin D is produced when the skin comes into contact with the sun.
This nutrient contributes to the proper functioning of important systems, such as musculoskeletal  and immune systems , for example. Therefore, vitamin D at healthy levels in the body is essential.

Therefore, for the nutrient to be synthesized in the skin, just expose yourself for a few minutes to ultraviolet B (UVB) solar radiation , the main source of the vitamin for the body.

What is the best time to sunbathe?

In order for there to be an efficient synthesis of the nutrient, it is necessary to sunbathe when there is a higher concentration of UVB rays, which occurs between 10 am and 4 pm .

Sunbathing should be done between times with the highest peak of ultraviolet B (UVB) radiation.
However, doctors do not recommend long exposure at these times because of the risk of developing burns and eye damage. In addition, there is concern about cases of skin diseases, such as skin cancer.

What part of the body to take Sun for Vitamin D?

For this, there is no need to fully expose yourself to the sun. Just leave your arms , hands and legs on display for a few minutes, which is enough for vitamin D to be produced.

That is, it is possible to acquire the necessary amounts of sun by doing an outdoor sport, taking a walk or an afternoon at the beach.

How much sun to take?

The time varies according to the needs and specificities of each patient, that is, age , health , weight , skin color and even where the person lives .
However, doctors recommend sunbathing at least three times a week , without applying sunscreen to the exposed area of ​​the body, and as follows:

  • 15 to 20 minutes for those with white or sensitive skin ;
  • 30 to 40 minutes for those with dark skin ;
  • Up to 1 hour for those with black skin

.Black skin requires longer exposure to the sun to produce vitamin D.
The time difference according to skin tone is due to melanin levels . Yeah, the bigger they are, the more difficult the skin has to absorb UV rays (ultraviolet).

It is worth noting that if you intend to continue sunbathing after this period, you should apply sunscreen .

And when can we not sunbathe?

In some cases, such as working indoors, health conditions that prevent sun exposure, it is necessary to seek help from a health professional.

Thus, he will guide you on how to change your lifestyle, diet and even assess the need for vitamin D supplementation . In this case, this guidance is even more essential, as the doctor must determine the correct doses of the supplement.

Now you’ve discovered the importance of the sun in the production of vitamin D and how much is needed to keep nutrient levels up to date, just put this habit into practice in your everyday life.

It is always good to remember that this article has informative content and does not dispense with medical consultation. Therefore, always consult a health professional before starting any type of treatment or procedure.

Healthy Doctor