What to eat before, during and after your workout sessions.
When you work out regularly you place a high caloric demand on your body, and it needs to be met for the body to restore nutrients as soon as possible. A study showed that eating foods that are high in proteins within 15 minutes of working out, provides the essential amino acids that can help in muscle repairs.
If you eat a healthy meal at least 1 – 2 hours before your work-out and another healthy meal an hour or two after your workout, you would be able to meet your nutritional need without any additional requirements or additions.
- Pre exercise nutritional needs.
To get the best performance out of your work out and recovery from your training, you need to understand the benefits of workout nutrition. In the three hours before your workout, you would need to eat or snack on something that would help you:
- Boost performance
- Stay hydrated
- Preserve the muscle mass
- Speed recovery process
- During workouts: it is important to fill up on fluids during work out sessions, water acts as a cooling system for the body.
- After workouts
It cannot be overemphasized on the importance of protein after every work out session.
- Some rules that help with Workout Nutrition
1. Pay attention: when the body does not get enough vitamins, minerals and other nutrients, it can affect the outcome of the work out. It is important to take lots of water, fruits and whole grain carbs, proteins and healthy fats.
2. Rebuild with protein: if you are active, you need to consume a lot of protein, protein is important because it provides the body with amino acids that the body needs to build and repair muscles. Good sources of proteins are poultry, fish, legumes, soybeans and more.
3. Know what you need preworkout: generally, you are to eat 2 to 3 hours before you work out no matter what type of exercise that you may be doing. If your work out session is an hour daily, eating throughout the day will give you the energy you need.
4. Post workouts: it is important to replenish your carbs and fluids after working out. Your body makes use of its stored energy during work-outs, that is why it is important to fuel up especially on proteins 15 minutes after your workouts. A smoothie after your work out could do the trick.
5. Pay attention to fats: fat is essential for a healthy diet, especially when it comes to your work outs. Fat helps to provide energy and absorb vitamins, A, D, E, K which needs fat to be properly absorbed. It is important to note that the required type of fats are the unsaturated fats, and are found in avocado olive, flaxseed and nuts.
6. Love your carbs: carbs help the body during long and high intensity work outs, depending on your level of activity, you need to take in more carbs. Carbs help to fuel your brain and muscles during work outs.