Keto diet and healthy lifestyle.
Starting on a ketogenic diet or a keto diet is an effective way to lose weight and reduce risk for disease, a lot of research have shown that a keto diet is far superior to the often recommended low fat diet.
Keto diet is a low-carb, high fat diet that offers many health benefits in the body, it can help you lose weight, and improve your health. It has shown to even have benefits against diabetes, cancer, Alzheimer’s disease and epilepsy.
Because it lacks carbohydrates, a keto diet is rich in proteins and fats. It typically contains plenty meat, processed meats, sausages, cheese, fish, butter, oils, fish, fibrous vegetables and so on.
It involves drastically reducing the carbohydrate levels in the body and replacing it with fat, this helps to put your body in a metabolic state called ketosis.
Benefits of keto diets
- It improves acne
- It supports weight loss
- It may reduce risk of certain cancers
- It may improve the health of the heart.
- It may protect the brain function
- It has potential to reduce seizures
Foods to avoid on a keto diet.
Generally, foods high in carbs should be limited when on a keto diet. Some of them include: grains or starches, fruits, beans or legumes, unhealthy fats, alcohol, root vegetables and tubers, sugar-free diet foods to mention a few.
Types of keto diets.
- Cyclical ketogenic diet (CKD): this type of keto diet involves periods of having higher carb reseeds, such as a 5-day ketogenic diet and a 2-day-high carb diet
- Standard ketogenic diet (SKD): this involves a very low-carb 5%, moderate protein 25%, and a high fat diet 75%.
3.High protein ketogenic diet: this involves a higher protein ratio and is similar to the standard ketogenic diet. 60% fat, 35% protein, 5% carbs.
4.Targeted ketogenic diet (TKD): during workouts, carbs are allowed.
Is keto diet healthy?
A keto diet has been shown to help many conditions, it helps in improving blood sugar levels in patients with type 2 diabetes, at least for a short period of time. Research has shown a reduction in seizures of children using keto diet, sometimes as effective as taking their medication.
Weight loss has been the major reason for the use of keto diets, it has been shown a faster reduction of weight compared to the use of the traditional low-fat diet.
A day sample of keto diet.
- Breakfast: omelet with avocado, salsa, onion, pepper and spices
- Lunch: chicken salad with olive oil, feta cheese, olives and a side salad
- Dinner: pork chops with Parmesan cheese, broccoli, and salad.
People that should completely avoid keto diet
- Diabetic patients that are completely insulin dependent
- People with eating disorders, and kidney disease.
- Women during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
It is important to discuss any diet plan you intend to take with your health care provider, especially for those that are trying to manage a health problem or a disease, to ensure it is safe and compatible for them.