What is it?
The ketogenic diet contains fewer amounts of carbohydrates but has more fats in it. It also contains a moderate amount of proteins. Amount of Carbohydrates is decreased to the extent of 20-50 grams in a day and it is done for achieving and maintaining ketosis. It is a metabolic process during which body fats are used as a fuel for energy in place of glucose. The way you eat is mostly fat, usually 70% of your intake is fats. Mostly people taking keto diet start eating animal products that are high in fat, for instance meat, whole dairy products and butter.
However, people following diet based on plants which also includes vegans may also follow a ketogenic diet. Those who are on vegan diet eat only foods that are plant based like fruits, vegetables and grains. They do not eat any kind of food which is of animal origin like eggs, meat or dairy products. Ketosis can be achieved by vegans if they rely on diet rich in fat by relying on high fat and are plant based which includes coconut oil, nuts, seeds, and avocados.
There are several health benefits of vegan and also ketogenic diets. But there is no specific research or information related to vegan keto diet. Vegan diet showed reduced risk of chronic health problems, which includes disease of heart, diabetes, and some types of cancer.
- Various studies confirmed that people taking vegan diet reduce their 75% risk of having high blood pressure and almost 80% reduced risk of type 2 diabetes.
- In addition, weight of vegans is usually less as compared to non vegans. Moreover, who follow a vegan diet can lose weight more easily as compared to those who are taking animal products.
- An experiment was held in which it was seen that people who were on vegan diet lost 3 kg more as compared to those who were taking animal based diet.
- Since vegan and ketogenic diets can benefit your health in the same way, combining the two after a vegan keto diet is likely to have a positive impact on your health as well.
What should you do not eat?
One thing should be kept in mind while taking vegan keto diet, you should decrease intake of carbohydrates. Instead you should take beneficial fats and vegan protein sources. Products based on animals, which includes meat, eggs, dairy, poultry and seafood, should be removed from a keto vegan diet. Following are some examples of meals to avoid completely:
- Meat: Beef, chicken, turkey, pork.
- Seafood: shrimp, Fish, mussels, clams.
- Eggs: white and yolk of eggs.
- Ingredients of animal origin: Whey protein, egg white, honey.
- Dairy: butter, yogurt, Milk.
Starting a keto diet might be difficult for the people. It is usually referred to as ketogenic flu which is the period of transition from diet rich in carbohydrates to a ketogenic diet. It happens because when your body transit from glucose burning to fat for obtaining energy, some adverse effects may occur. Some of them are as follows:
Vegan keto diet is usually more limiting as compared to regular vegan diets. It is necessary to take supplements while following vegan keto diet. They should plan their diet for optimum intake of balanced diet. It is critical for people following keto diet to eat eat fortified food focusing on whole foods and improving the availability of nutrients, such as fermentation and sprouting. But it is difficult for them to meet their micronutrient need. A smart way to avoid deficiencies and to meet daily requirements is to supplement the diet with vitamins.